In the three days I’ve spent starting the test knitting, I’ve learned a few things.
The first thing is that I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that I feel somehow a bit nervous. I didn’t expect that. I threw myself into the cast on, which includes increases in seed/moss stitch on Friday night when I was dead tired and slightly drunk. That may explain why I started it three times. By the time Miss Marple was over, I was convinced I’d gone about it all wrong.
I hasten to add that none of this is the fault of the pattern. Now that I’ve approached it sober and not so tired, it’s going along very nicely.
But about the nerves, I feel like if I don’t get this right, it’s not just me who suffers. We test knitters have been engaged by Thea to get this pattern as ready as possible for sale. I actually can’t afford to approach this sort of task in a sodden state on a Friday night. What was I thinking? After that hiccup, I spent small pockets of time over the weekend working on getting it right, taking the task seriously and really making sure I was paying attention.
So far so good.
Once again, Cascade 220 is proving to be a stunningly solid and serviceable yarn. And the colour, Mallard, is beautiful and alluring. Moss stitch has never been a favourite of mine to knit but I’m finding that including increases in the mix is making it a rather engaging experience.
In other news, it’s my birthday in July and for some time I’ve been making noise about getting a sewing machine. My lovely husband took me out to just go looking yesterday and next thing we were walking out with a shiny new Janome machine. More on that later, but for now, here’s a peek at how I spent today. I made muslin squares, which I use for straining stock and other kitcheny activities. Lots of straight lines and hems.
I’ve got a long way to go, but this was fun and I’ll be giving some to my sister, Adele who, by the way, has written a great post about her first experience cooking S’Mores on our shared blog, which I’m sure are not new to American readers.