If you recall the rather ugly attempt at quilting I wrote about last week, I hope you’ll agree with me that today’s effort is much, much better. After seeing how easily a few simple squares can go wrong, I went back to the drawing board and started from absolute basics. Simple squares, in a pre-selected range of fabrics (so that I didn’t have to think about that oh so confusing issue of matching) and the results, I think, speak for themselves.
This morning, after a bit of advice from my mum and some tutorials (thank you You Tube!) I set about making what’s commonly known as a Nine Patch block. The tutorials I read advised about placement of dark versus light fabrics and the all important bit about getting the seams to meet up neatly in the middle.
Over several hours I made four different 12″ blocks and I feel like taking a bit of care over it really helped restore my confidence. After the first one turned out so well, I kept going with the little bundle of pre-cut Moda fabric squares and made three more.
For the Quilts For Queensland project I was going to only make a block or two and send them off, but I’m thinking I might try my hand again at putting it all together into a small lap quilt, with a border to make it a bit larger. Or I might just send the blocks off safe in the knowledge that one of the quilters helping Corrie out with her project will quilt it in a much better way than I can. I’ll have think about it.
Either way, I think I’ll stick for a while to variations on this simple approach, perfecting the basic skills I’m building up before I launch into more complex pieces. I said I wasn’t going to become a quilter and I still really see no massive projects in my future, but there’s something so very soothing in putting squares and simple lines together in small pieces. I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would so perhaps I’ll just go with the flow and see where it leads me. The need for precision is quite good for me I think. It makes me slow down and focus. That’s a good thing.
On the doily in the last post, a few questions answered. The finished size is 14″ and I used 2mm bamboo needles for it. My mum has decided she’d like to get it framed. I think that’s lovely.