As the end of my Long Service Leave looms, I’m trying to fit in as much sewing as possible. Knitting is for the evenings (or watching Madmen during the day!) but most days this week I’m sewing as much as possible. I’m taking a deep immersion approach, wanting to learn lots and get ahead. In essence, I’m setting myself ‘assignments’ every day of something different to make.
A few months ago, Ailsa of Knitabulous sent me a link to an online patchwork course and I signed up right away. The e-course is Red Velvet – Modern Patchwork and even though I signed up right away, I sat on it for a while. I’m not sure why. I think perhaps I thought the first project looked a bit, well not like what I wanted to do. That was such a silly thing to think because I made the first project on Tuesday and I fell in love.
Please meet two very cute patchwork dinosaurs.
After I made the first one (red) and decided he would be for Miss Alice, I sent a photo to my sister Adele who showed it to Mr Willem and of course I received a request back right away for a dinosaur for him – in orange, no less. Thankfully, I have bit of orange in the stash thanks to a big bag of fabric given to me by Dianne.
Here they are from the back.
These were great fun and in the end so simple and effective. Sew together a bunch of coordinating strips, iron, cut out the template, sew, stuff. From here I’ll be making up my own templates and seeing what I can come up with (chickens? You bet!). Oh and they have names, too. I put the call out on Twitter after making the first one for suggestions for names and the very clever Alison from MachenMachen came back with Patchosaurus Rex. Perfect! Let’s hear Alice try and say that! The second one has been dubbed by his new owner, Willem, as Willemosaurus. Naturally.
The first was a Union Jack inspired piece.
On a background of floral fabric, the pattern gets you to ‘build’ the cross shape with plain and striping fabric, in several layers until it’s done and then you join it to a plain back that has an envelope opening. Voila!
The second was simpler but I think is my favourite. A Contrast Tied Cushion Cover which I made using a scrap of upholstery fabric I bought from a local curtain supplier (those places are great for offcuts! I got loads last week).
This one is lined with a piece of an old bed sheet and I think it works really well. I’m looking forward to making more of these.
And just to show that my knitting is in no way suffering while I throw myself into so much sewing, I finished a glove yesterday. My first ever glove. This was great fun. Even the fingers. More details when the second one is done.
So there you go – lots of fun sewing. Today, my first task is to tidy up the dining table. It’s covered in fabric from the last three days and I can’t start anything new until I can find my rotary cutter and pins!